![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 21.3.12 . . . . .
[Spoiler alert? Anyway, don't read this if you haven't read The Hunger Games but plan to.] My favorite thing about The Hunger Games - the whole series - is not the action (Battle Royale, I guess?), the graphic visualizations (Madame Bovary, sometimes), the romance (I can't help but see Twilight here), the occasional creative turn, the politics. (No, not even the politics, the weirdly-Orwellian-by-the-end politics.) My favorite thing is the sheer, crushing moral self-awareness of Katniss. Of destroying through action and inaction and taking responsibility, of seeing hers as the hand that killed even when she was distant from those dead. Of hesitating to kill those she loved out of mercy and recognizing her selfishness, her failure to live up to her word to them. And still, and still, wanting to end harm at the end of it all; rejecting a thirst for revenge and trying, instead, to create the world in which she could bear to have children. And she did. And if that self-awareness brought her so much pain - and it did, more than any arrow she shot - it's no wonder we all don't have it. It's no wonder that, looking at those books, I see an allegory aligning so neat and plain with the world I live in. No wonder at all.
Comments:
That self-awareness is probably, on some level, why anyone likes the books, but it's many levels down from the various action points you mention and I don't know that most readers are sufficiently self aware to dig there. Bella in Twilight is certainly brooding--she spins her wheels over internal monologue about her situation constantly--but while I don't even know that I'd call Katniss introspective, really (she's more a person of action), she's a hell of a lot more self-aware. I think that that self-awareness, modeled through Katniss, is a good example for young people reading the book. Ugh. I still felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach, too, when she first talked to Peeta after he got hijacked.
It sounds like you approved of the ending? I did. I've heard some frustration from a few people about it, but I don't know a better way it could possibly have come together.
Yes I approved of the ending. I thought it was great. It wasn't arbitrary, it wasn't tragic (i.e., Shakespearian "everyone dies") - it was just good.
Post a Comment
come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |