![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 27.2.06 . . . . . So I've been having this religious discussion with a 14-year-old doctrinaire Christian on Gaia. It's very interesting. Among other things, he takes the Bible literally and has "proof of God." It's cute. A belief like that, irrational and contradictory, *is* the power of Christianity. Maybe not the intended power or the right power or the only power, but it seems to be the most prevalent power today. The caffeine makes me think faster, and it makes me like life more. :)
Comments:
Tostoy has a good theory about people who change the world. Sometimes he forgets he's in the middle of writing a novel and goes off on it in War and Peace. It's something like this: great things are going to happen, and specific people will be at the forefront of them, though if, say, Napoleon doesn't show up, someone else will do it slightly differently because there's an avalanche of cumulative human history pushing toward any single event.
There are little differences depending on who is there, though, and sometimes they become the important, interesting, even the telling parts of history. And it's rather difficult to look into the history books and find someone named specifically in an important role who did not get there in large part out because he thought he could end up there all along; Napoleon wouldn't have thought himself an accident of the timeline. If it hadn't been him we wouldn't have the gesture of sticking a hand in the jacket register universally as pompous, nor would we know what to diagnose pushy jockeys with. No one would know about Elba. And maybe for a while another side would have won. If Erin changes the world, I expect that thereafter it will be commonly known that if someone pushes your nose like a button you ought to say "ishkabibble," at least.
And clearly that is not only important but ADORABLE.
Post a Comment
Also: it's not that I believe I can change the world singlehandedly, it's just that I believe I can do something to help where others, in the same position, might do something to hurt. Things change; maybe I'll become easily corruptible, maybe I'll lose sight of my stance on moral issues, but right now, all I can believe is that I can kick some asshole out of political office. If we can't kick assholes out of political office, what is democracy good for? come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |