![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 15.12.10 . . . . . I don't think I like stuff as much as most Americans like stuff - and by stuff I mean unnecessary material goods. And I think I've always been that way to some extent, but within the past few months it's sunk in how much of the world's total matter we must've turned to stuff: enough to be pressing greasy sand for oil in Canada or drilling in the middle of the Gulf or burning pristine rainforest and peat bogs. And so much of the world is built, now, and not simply present, made of its own stuff as it happened to tumble together. It scares me quite a bit, though surely not enough for me to totally overcome its sedative effects, because it is so easy being modern man with all his stuff, and I have never really known anything else. What do we do? We can't keep making stuff as though there's infinite stuff to make stuff with. And even if we recycle and reuse all our old stuff (and we should, much more than we do), I'm guessing we'll still want new stuff made of new stuff. I want less and to be happy with less. I want to live through doing and feeling and observing and learning rather than through accumulating. There's something in here somewhere about Christmas, I think, and the bottom line which is I don't need anything and what I want is intangible or, at best so far as giveability is concerned, human in nature: actions and words and not things. So, I don't know. Keep it in mind?
Comments:
blogspot, why eat my comment?!
Post a Comment
I feel awkward about Christmas this year. I do not feel moved to buy presents, and I feel awkward and guilty receiving them. but I have already gotten two (yours & another) and though I love you two so very dearly, material gifts seem not the way to go about conveying that, and yet. and yet I also liked getting them, but I don't think it was because they were material things. idk aaaaaaaaaargh come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |