![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 13.6.10 . . . . . The World Cup's strongest emotional effect on me is to make me want so badly to believe in South Africa, in its ability to rise and bring the rest of its continent with it, in its ability to do all the right things, finally, after we did everything wrong. But I know, despite the heartwarming images of Nelson Mandela with the South Africa team, despite Ghana's win against Serbia, that South Africa - like practically every other country - is not willing to make sacrifices for the far future, or even for the near future of their most vulnerable. Indeed, government officials have regularly sacrificed the welfare of the poor and of their own children, at least when it comes to energy, to advance . . . well, themselves, I guess. But I want to believe in them. I want to have faith that they can make all the right choices, save all that deserves saving, nurture the wealth that they have. I hope for them. I guess that's what wanting to believe is - hope.
Comments:
Post a Comment
come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |