![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 15.4.07 . . . . . It is going to be a miserable day tomorrow. Too warm for a snowday, with a plethora of stuff due and (probably) an econ meeting in the evening. I must motivate myself. It is not going well. Also, if I were reasonable, I would go to Princeton without question. Other schools generally want me to take out loans and do work-study, which Princeton wouldn't make me do. It's the number one university in the country. You'd bloody well think I could settle, wouldn't you? I'll probably go there. I probably won't visit elsewhere, because there's little enough time and money to do so. The more I think about it, the more I know that, as I remember thinking a long time ago, there is no perfect college for me. It's useless to look for one now. It's not about finding someplace perfect: it's about finding someplace in which a perfect niche can be discovered. Princeton is workable. As for Chicago and Tufts: I don't want to immerse myself in a group of like-minded or near-like-minded individuals, even if it would mean being able to relate closely to hundreds of people. That isn't what life is like. I want to be around a lot of different people, and I've never come across a more mixed-up lot of human beings than those at Princeton. There are those I could relate to, and those I could still befriend, not in spite of but because of the contrast. There are a few things Princeton has that noplace else does. 1: Name recognition. This is not just to my benefit once I graduate. If I were to call someone - anyone - on behalf of the university or a university organization, I wouldn't just be brushed off. Princeton is on the map for traveling speakers of all stripes because of its reputation. 2: The best creative writing department in the country. 3: An uncanny way of having thought of every possible organization, mechanism, or other tidbit for the comfort, convenience, and enjoyment of everyone involved in the university. This sounds strange, but it's just something I gathered while there - no one told me. They go out of their way to make the logistics of college easy. 4: One word, and one word merely: subsidies. 5: Woody Woo. 6: If I didn't like Princeton, I could always transfer out - but Princeton doesn't accept transfer applications. This is my only chance to go there. I might as well give the place a chance.
Comments:
Do I have something to do with your not wanting to be around similar people?
In my experience, and you would think that if you could find them anywhere, it would be at St. John's, there aren't similar people. No matter where you go, the people are a huge contrast and broaden your horizons. But it doesn't hurt to put yourself in a situation where you're more likely to be around people who want to have horizon-broadening conversations. It doesn't mean they're like you in any other respect than that. And I don't think it's character building to avoid that one thing to have in common. And it's possible that you'd find more of it somewhere other than Princeton. I have a notion that Mom is trying to talk you out of looking around. You do have time and I wish you WOULD look. This is also your only chance to do THAT. Don't worry about the money. Between us all we can deal with the money. But if parts of Princeton were genuinely upsetting to you, even if you're somewhat over it by now, for your own sake you shouldn't rule out the possibility that one of the other places would be better for you to the extent that you won't even explore your options.
Cas, the decision is made. It's not mom's doing. It's mine. I'm too tired to write a ton about it right now, but suffice it to say that I feel like there are enough reasons to go to Princeton.
Post a Comment
come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |