![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 28.3.07 . . . . . Observation: the mainstream ideal of feminine beauty/sexuality has changed considerably in the past millenium, but the ideal of male beauty/sexuality has not. Discuss.
Comments:
Oh it most definitely has changed..
Men who were large and manly were once considered attractive where now the attractive standard is usually one of "metrosexual" and "pretty boy" status. Think of our celebrity icons, Jude Law, Johnny Depp.. they're all rather feminine looking boys. .. Just saying. xD
On the contrary, "pretty boys" were always counted attractive - it's just that they've typically been the objects of not female but male desire. I think "manly men" are still considered attractive by the majority of women, whereas "pretty boys" are still something of a specialized taste. Hem. Vera. Theatrenerdgirl.
Fine, I'll discuss, for real - yeah, it seems that the feminine 'ideal' enforced by the media changes all the time, but smart guys (and by this, I mean the ones w/ common sense (the ones worth dating), not necessarily the nerdy ones (though they're often smart in a common sense sort of way, but not always)) know that there's more to beauty than matching up with some stupid media-enforced ideal.
The same applies for the male 'ideal' - it has changed somewhat in recent years, perhaps not as much, but honestly... I'm much more attracted to real people (well, person - I think we all know who) than to silly media icons. And for the life of me, I can't understand why so many people want to f*ck Dr. House. He's *old* for crying out loud. old *and* grumpy.
He's an interesting character. A total son of a bitch, of course, but interesting - and admirable and endearing in a perverse sort of way.
But I wouldn't date him. :P Media is a new word. What about Botticelli's Venus or Michelangelo's David? Those were representative of that period's ideals of beauty, and they were art, not "media" in the way we think of it. I am not sure if I'm going anywhere with this. :P
All of these things come in cycles. The qualities that make a man attractive have changed over the years just as much as the qualities that make a woman attractive. For example, today's ideal of the "manly man" would be tan and muscular. In Victorian England, "tan and muscular" translated to "barbaric heathen." Their attractive men were pale and thin, because those were the signs of being successful in their society. These things change, trends coming and going, as the standards by which we measure success change.
Post a Comment
come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |