![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 23.6.06 . . . . . I think it possible that our society does not give enough credit to apparently "well-adjusted" teenagers. In this case, by the phrase "well-adjusted" I mean generally upbeat, fairly booksmart, "involved in the community" (i.e. has some form of a life outside of social, family and scholastic), has "well-adjusted" friends, and so on. These "well-adjusted" kids act against a lot of natural teenaged instincts. The impulse of the teenager is to act irrationally and emotionally, and for the most part, they don't. People develop an expectation of these kids, and distinguish them from others in that they act more mature. They expect the standard to be held, which, when you think about it, is completely ludicrous. It's like expecting a rubber band being pulled tighter and tighter never to snap. It's the "well-adjusted" ones who may eventually go off the deep end like no normal teenager ever could. So, o blogreaders: be understanding of those strange "well-adjusted" kids. In spite of their best (and usually successful) efforts to make it look like they're in control of themselves and their lives, they are still teenagers. They don't like it either. If they do things that seem uncharacteristically immature, breathe a sigh of relief because it's temporarily out of their system; don't freak out and think they're becoming irresponsible, impulsive, normal kids. They're not. They just need to unwind sometimes, so that they don't snap entirely. Snapping would suck. I endeavor not to snap. Y'know?
Comments:
Take it from me, the unadjusted chick. T'is much better to unwind than snap. I have done both numerous times, and I much prefer playing with the rubber band over breaking it.
Post a Comment
'cause getting a new rubber band kind of sucks, ya know? come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |