![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 5.6.06 . . . . . . . . does anyone else find Schrödinger's cat experiment really inhumane but really, horribly funny? There was a thread on Gaia about it, and I wrote: My sincerest apologies, but I find it difficult to take the theory seriously because it's so inhumane and yet so funny. Schrödinger's cat is ALIVE! DEAD! ALIVE! DEAD! WHICH IS IT!? . . . and seriously, whenever I see a cat in any boxlike vessel, I just crack up. I don't know why. It's really quite terrible, and I don't know why I find it so funny, but I just can't get past the humor to the actual theory. I wish Schrödinger had used a less silly experiment to test the uncertainty thing. Someone a couple of posts before me wrote the following, which is extraordinarily funny to me, especially being a Monty Python fan as I am: "The best answer we have is building off of what someone said earlier, leave the cat in the box after the half-life and let it go another round, the cat is now 75/25 dead provided you make no observation between half lives. Model the cat's life by .5^t Schrodinger's cat becomes exponentially more dead and less living, but never reaches the point of being definitively dead. the only conclusion we can reach is: Schrodinger's cat is not dead yet (though it most certainly is not getting better and we may as well give the man with the cart the nine pence to haul the cat off because the chap is in a tremendous hurry to get to the Robins's as they've lost nine today, even if it is against policy to take things that aren't entirely dead.)"
Comments:
My thoughts on this one are pretty much the same as yours. I don't know that it's the very first thing that occurs to me at the sight of an enclosed cat, though.
Post a Comment
come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |