![]() |
|
|
. . . . . entries for 8.10.04 . . . . . Okay, so I just ran upstairs from watching the debate. I have a few things to say. First and perhaps foremost, I'd like to say that I would be an undecided voter in this election. I think I'd end up caving and voting for Kerry because of the fundamental tax issues at hand, but it'd be a tough call. Second, both candidates did a lot of question-evading. This was, in some cases, just. . . evasive, and they couldn't answer because the answer would be unfavorable. In other cases, though, it was because there was no answer. Plain and simple. A woman in the audience asked how American companies could stay competitive if they kept jobs in America, where the high standard of living mandates high wages. It was clear to me that she meant, can American products exist without sweatshop labor in third-world countries? The candidates both neatly stepped around it, talked about programming in China and India because the numbers are bigger, it doesn't seem as terrible, as inhumane, as unavoidably terrible. Another question without an answer - a question that, interestingly, wasn't asked - was that of Social Security. Apparently one of the taboos of politics is talking about it. Fact is, the lockbox has been opened, held upside down, shaken and crushed. I don't know how Social Security can exist in the future of this country. I'd like to know what the candidates plan to do about it. Third, Bush's crazy flipping out sessions. Did anyone else notice this? He was really on the edge of his seat the entire debate, and talked right over the moderator a few times. I thought he was going to go all crazy ninja schwaaaa! and yeah. Just thought I'd throw that out there. It was an interesting contrast - during the first debate, he seemed really out of it. He took long pauses and tended to resort to the phrase "it's hard work!" a lot. This time, it was Kerry continuously using the phrase "I have a plan!" often in conjunction with "ladies and gentlemen." And lastly, the selection of questions from the audience was. . . interesting. I especially liked the last question of the debate. Admit three of your mistakes, President Bush. o.O Ouchie. All of the big, controversial issues were brought up, even the environment, which was cool. Bush spoke the word "environment" in the same tone he used for "Internets" (yes, plural) - things that are dealt with and that affect other people. In conclusion. . . gah. Politics make me sad. I'm going to go watch cartoons at jibjab.com now. xD
Comments:
Post a Comment
come home? |
.:people:.
{ting} .:past:. April 2002 .:skin:. turtles! turtles! by araglas |